One of the more amusing things Elaina does lately is interpret your questions in the form of offers. And if such an offer isn’t forthcoming, she’s not afraid to grant permission to herself.
She’ll say something, and you repeat her question. Maybe it’s a little indistinct or you repeat her question incredulously (a nuance completely lost on her, by the way). Elaina interprets that as an offer and graciously accepts.
A typical interaction:
Elaina: <something indistinct>
John: “A popsicle?”
Elaina: “Okay!”
She gets me every time!
Beyond merely accepting, though, Elaina has become empowered to grant permission to herself (apparently). I hear a lot of, “Okay, ‘Laina, I have cookie now.” or “Okay, ‘Laina, I go outside now.”
There’s something be said for that positive attitude. She just assumes success, as if anything else was inconceivable. Maybe she should write management books or self-help books. I think she’s becoming my life coach.
3 comments:
Your last two posts are adorable! :)....glad you wrote them down. These are things that you "think" you'll always remember, but wish you would've written them down once your kids are in their 20's!!
Hey, it's been over a month. Looking forward to the next post!
Well, she just really hasn't been all that interesting lately. ;)
Actually, her Daddy is just procrastinating. I have the photos all picked out for several posts....
Post a Comment