Elaina’s packing Play-Doh into a can. It’s way more than will fit…as I’ve told her a number of times by now.
John: “That’s not going to fit. You’ll never get the lid on.”
Elaina: continues to pack and pack and pack Play-Doh over the top of the can.
John: “Well, let me know when you get that lid on…. You can listen to me now or listen to me later.”
Elaina: (quietly, as I’m walking away) “I’ll listen to you later.”
So, my question is this: she’s two and a half and already chooses her own way, rather than let the shining beacon of Daddy’s wisdom guide her…um…safely through the shoals of…um…a life of untidy Play-Doh…. Okay, maybe that’s more dramatic than the situation warrants, but my point is, shouldn’t a two year old just give me the benefit of the doubt and assume I know what I’m talking about? And if not now, then what about when she’s 15?
Maybe Elaina herself has the answer. Heidi had a similar interaction with her and finally said, “I give up.” To which Elaina replied by singing a song from Wow! Wow! Wubbzy! In her cute little girl voice, she sang, “Don’t give up. Never give up.”
No comments:
Post a Comment