Sunday, December 4, 2011

Something Suitable to Wear

SomethingSuitableToWearYesterday was “Daddy Daughter Day”, which is what we call Saturday.  We didn’t have anything planned—just had to take some books back to the library.  We usually find something to do—Daddy Daughter Day is a low stress, low prep affair. 

One thing I’m finding wonderful is that I can say things like “Go upstairs and find something to wear,” and it just kind of happens, sometimes.  So, yesterday, the getting ready process was taking awhile, so I called, “Do you need some help?”

“Yes….”

“What do you need?” I ask, walking into her room. 

Elaina’s in her closet, pointing to a pink dress she can’t reach.  “I found something suitable to wear.”

The wording struck me as odd but familiar.  Then I realized that we’d stepped into Cinderella.  Cinderella’s mean stepmother said she could go to the ball if she finished her chores and found “something suitable to wear”.   And, let’s see…I’d just made her clean up her place at the table and told her to go find something to wear….

Mostly, this is her outfit.  I picked out the pants (because she seems to consider them optional).  She picked out everything else.  The boots, she explained to me, are her “fashion boots”, but it’s “okay to wear them today because it’s not raining or wet outside”.  According to Elaina, they’re like Barbie’s boots from “A Fashion Fairy Tale”. 

No comments: