Sunday, January 31, 2010

Yes and No

pjs I’ve probably talked about this to some of you, but in the interest of my not forgetting in a few years what I think is one of the cutest things I’ve ever heard….

Elaina has been saying “yes” and “no” for awhile now.  “No” came first.  “Yes” didn’t emerge until around Thanksgiving when my Mom and Dad were visiting.  Since then, we’ve been able to have yes-no conversations with her, which really helps.  But it’s not always so much what she says as how she says it.



Elaina's "no" is this cute, drawn out (maybe slightly patronizing) "no...."—except when going for something she's not allowed to have, like the TV remote. In those moments, her eyes light up, and with a look of pure joy, she runs towards (or away with) the forbidden object, exclaiming happily, "no-no-no-no-no!".


“Yes” is even cuter.  She doesn’t actually say the word “yes”.  Elaina’s “yes” is a sing-song sort of thing.  I’m going to use up and down arrows to indicate pitch. 

Her standard “yes” is:  “hmm↑hmm↓↓hmmm….”, with the middle “hmm” higher pitched than the other two and the third one lowest and drawn out.  That’s her go-to “yes”, but she has several variants. 

Her “yes, yes, of course, by all means” is a really quick, clipped version, though with the same tones:  “hm↑hm↓↓hm”.  This is what I get if I ask something silly like, “Should we bring Duck?  Do you want to sit in the chair awhile before bed? Do you want some cheese?”

Her most emphatic “yes”, reserved for responses to questions like “Do you want to go outside?  Do you want to get out of your crib?  Do you want a popsicle?” is similarly clipped, but the tones are replaced with a uniform, stress and slight pause for emphasis between each:  “HMM. HMM. HMM!”  Often this is accompanied with a nod on each syllable or at least the last, and is really something to behold.

This Saturday, I got to witness a new variant of Elaina’s “yes”.  Elaina had a bad cold and was miserable and sad.  As a result, Heidi had to go solo to a birthday party that we’d all planned on attending.  Elaina and I stayed home.  Unfortunately, Elaina saw Heidi leave.  That left me with a very unhappy little girl. 

Elaina was crying and inconsolable, beyond reasoning with.

I was trying….  “Do you want to watch Nemo?” 

“NO!”  <sobbing>

“How about Wubbzy?”

“NO!”  <sobbing>

“Dora?”

“NO!”  <sobbing>

(Okay, now I’m out of ideas and somewhere between heartbroken and frustrated.)

“Okay…do you want to just cry some more?”

(pause, and then, each syllable a sob)

<sob>Hmm.<sob>Hmm.<sob>Hmm.

Which despite being sad, was maybe the cutest thing I’d heard in awhile.

So, having decided that what she really needed was just to cry a little longer, Elaina proceeded to do so, but without the vehemence that had come before. 

I was kneeling down in front of her and asked, “Would a hug help?”

“Noooo….”

“Okay.  That’s okay….  If you don’t think it’ll help, lets not do that.  But if you think it’ll make you feel better, you can have a hug whenever you want.”

One more sob.  Sniff.  A step sideways towards me.  Sniff.  Another step, and she leans her little shoulder into my chest.  Not a word.  No “yes”, no “no”, but nothing needed saying.

7 comments:

Linda said...

YOU GOT IT!!!!...VERY well described (from our recent phone conversation)...you never cease to amaze me on your ability to make a reader feel like they're actually there! One thing...for whatever reason, your third paragraph describing her NO with the TV remote etc came out completely garbled on this end............:( Not sure what happened.

Linda said...

Hey......I just figured out your "encrypted code"!!!!! For the most part, read that third paragraph backwards (starting at the bottom and working your way up)..NOW it pretty well makes sense! Were you just testing us??!!....and...did I pass??! :)

John said...

You know what that is? That's my using a new application for blogging and only testing it once before trusting it. I don't know what it did there, but I'll fix it.

Thanks for pointing it out. When in doubt, just always read my stuff backwards. ;)

John said...

Wow. That paragraph is really awful, and worse, my local copy is gone. Apparently, when you publish a draft, it leaves your local hard drive and if you want to edit it, it gets pulled from the blog.

Since the publication process garbled that paragraph and then threw away the original, I'm stuck rewriting it. Thankfully it's just one paragraph!

John said...

Fixed. What a shame. I really like the program I'd started using (Live Writer). Now, I'm not sure if I can trust it. If I'd had to try to rewrite that whole post, I'd have been very unhappy. HMM. HMM. HMM!

Linda said...

Still thinking I deserve a prize or something! ha!! :)

Vicki said...

Too sweet John! We really need to record Chase's yes's and no's because I'll forget how adorable they are. His no's are short clipped little "no, no, no, no" as he walks away shaking his head. Then there's the "aaah . . . no" as though he was actually thinking about saying yes, but you know he wasn't really :) But his yes is this dramatic drawn out "Yessssss" as he nods his head so emphatically it's like he's head-banging to some tune we can't hear. Always makes me smile. By the way, it was great to see Heidi & Elaina recently - she is on the move!