Saturday, March 26, 2011

She’s Three!

CakeElaina turned three years old this month. 

This picture is from her first party, with just family.  She had a bigger party this afternoon with family and friends, and yet another cake.

It’s the end of a long day here.  The dishwasher is humming along, working on the party dishes.  Elaina’s upstairs singing—supposed to be sleeping, but she’s singing.  Can’t tell what. 

I just got down from reassuring her that there’s nothing to be afraid of—she gets “afraid about the dark”.  I’m very sympathetic to that, she and I sharing certain similarities in terms of imagination.  I assured her that I’m watching over her, via the monitor.  Lately, she seems to be comforted by that, perhaps because we’ve been reading this book that has a daddy reindeer watching over his calf.  Just before I left her room, my little calf said, “If you need me, you come back up.”

Dress-inMotionI just downloaded photos—disappointed that I didn’t get a single good shot of Elaina’s birthday party dress.  Here’s the best one I have, which features Elaina in motion, as usual. 

She insisted on keeping the dress on long after Heidi and I tried to shift her to more comfortable, less ice cream blotted, attire.  She even insisted upon wearing a pair of sparkly, pink tights that Grandma Marsha gave her.  Every time I think she’s a tom-boy, she goes kind of princessy on me.

PlexCakeFor her party cake, Elaina chose “Plex” a Yo Gabba Gabba character.

We were very happy with the cake.  It’s very unusual for Heidi not to do the cake herself, but with her recent back issues and all the party prep to do, it’s nice that she could get something of Heidian quality without having to do it herself.

It’s hard to believe that Elaina’s three years old.  The day we brought her home seems both like yesterday and like ages ago.  As a father, I’ve been trying out the, “You’re three years old now—you shouldn’t do…” line.  It’s a little early to tell whether that’s working.

No comments: