“I don’t have to.”
Light wisps of smoke coming from my ears: “Well, if you don’t, you and Daddy are going to have a problem.”
We’ve had some differences of opinion lately about our relative spans of control. Let’s just say we both have strong feelings on our respective roles and who makes what kind of decision.
A pause for perspective…. “I’d like this to be a happy time.”
“Are you happy, Daddy?”
“Yes…generally, I am, but it’s a little irritating that—”
“Knock, knock”
“…Who’s there?”
“Watermelon.”
“Hmm…watermelon who?”
“Watermelon…goes on the potty! hahahahah!”
“That’s a good one, Sweetie,” I say, smiling because…well… watermelon on the potty—what’s more funny than that? And it’s an interesting approach to the problem on her part.
“Are you happy now, Daddy?”
“Yeah, Sweetie.”
The interesting thing is that this really does solve the problem for both of us. It changes the mood, and when she’s doing this, she’s done doing whatever it is that caused the conflict in the first place.
No comments:
Post a Comment