Monday, February 9, 2009

Yellow Ducky Overload!

Ladies and gentlemen! Step inside and see the show! Yellow duckies await you. Check out my yellow ducky pajamas and my newest friend--a yellow ducky that my mommy has been saving for me for a long time now.

He's soft. He's yellow. He quacks. (Oh yes, he quacks.)
His tiny, beady, black eyes speak volumes. (So, would he really have to quack? Couldn't he just be a quiet duck?)

Let me introduce you to "Mmmm-DUCK".



Elaina met her new yellow ducky friend on a day when she was wearing her yellow ducky pajamas (a favorite of ours). Girl and duck became fast friends.

We don't really know if Elaina can say "duck", but she does frequently say something that sounds like "Mmmmm--DUCK", and she does have lots of ducks....



Soon, Elaina and Ducky were going everywhere together. Here, Elaina demonstrates the modified shoulder carry, suitable for use on billed companions.


Duckies are such a comfort that they can make a girl sleepy. These two are headed for a nap. I was to find out later that the duck quacks when someone, say, rolls over on him.


Saturday 2:12 am, John's Home Office
All is peaceful. Not a sound in the house except for the occasional rumble of the furnace. Suddenly a quacking pierces the silence!
Quackquackquackquack-quackquackquack!

The baby monitor sputters and crackles to life, bringing the unwelcome sound of loud quacking to my ears a second after the farther-away sound of it upstairs. My hands freeze on the keyboard, my breath stops, and I wait for Elaina's cry. The duck goes on quacking.
Quackquackquackquack-quackquackquack!

How long has he been quacking? Is it a he? It is. Why do I think that?
Quackquackquackquack-quackquackquack!

He's still quacking? Is that three rounds of quacking? Three's probably it, right? Things normally do things once or three times.... What if she's rolled over on him? Will he just keep quacking? Quackquackquackquack--Can't blame him for that--quackquackquack!--I'd probably keep quacking too.


Silence....
No quacking...no crying.
She slept through it!

So, you're thinking that this story ends with "The next night, ducky slept outside the crib", right? I thought about it--I really did. She has a perfectly well-mannered puppy, who has never once had a quacking fit in the middle of the night. ...But she loves her ducky...and it didn't wake her up.... So, the story ends with, "Ducky's on probation. As long as he doesn't wake Elaina, he can sleep with her and quack all he wants...but I wish he'd quit it."

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Hey Elaina, I have a duck that looks a lot like your ducky...except mine doesn't quack. Maybe they're cousins? :)

Scot Drew said...

One can never have too many yellow duckies, if you ask me.

Anne Schmenk said...

As any good pet should know, Ducky needs to move to either the top or bottom of the bed to sleep after Elaina drifts off to avoid any possible disturbances. You know... sort of like cats sleeping near one's pillow or dogs at the foot of the bed. He is lucky to only be on probation! You really need to "QUACK" down on him. :-)

Linda said...

"QUACK" down on him???!!!!...that's really good!! :) Not to "ruffle any feathers" (so to speak), but I HAVE to agree with Anne!

John said...

Who knew I had such funny sisters? :/

The duck had another quacking fit last night. (I think he might have a neurological problem.) Elaina didn't wake up though. Which reminds me: Have I mentioned I have the sweetest, most easy-going little girl? You guys never told me how easy this parenting thing was! ;) ...It's going to stay this way forever, right?

Linda said...

OH boy....did you EVER jinx yourself!!!!....I'll remind you of this comment someday! :)