Monday, August 22, 2011

Aunt Linda’s Shermit Garden

AuntLinda
We’ve recently been playing Elaina’s first board games with her. 
It’s not super-fun, from a parent’s perspective.  She has very little respect for rules.  It’s weird how some things get to you and others don’t—I’m normally pretty accepting of the cloud of chaos that Elaina generates, but for some reason, the clash of that with board game rules has me saying crazy things like, “If you’re not going to play by the rules, we’re not going to play at all.” 
It was in one of those moments—she was moving around, the Candyland board, seemingly at random, and I was internally debating the merits of closing the game vs. trying to put myself in a Zen, accepting state. 
“Honey, you don’t move over there.  You’re almost winning.  You don’t want to go backwards.  You’re supposed to move to the next green square.”
Stubbornly, Elaina moves her pawn over to the area in the picture above and says, “I want to be over here, near Aunt Linda.
That changed the mood, and instead I started asking her questions about the scene.  It turns out that Aunt Linda has a garden where she grows “shermits”, and that’s what’s in the scene above. 
I guess being near Aunt Linda and her shermits is winning!

1 comment:

Linda said...

Hmmmmm......I think I'm flattered......but I'm not so sure (I guess I "see" myself as being blonde yet and about 30 pounds lighter, however.....looking at my gameboard caricature, I didn't think I looked THAT bad!! By the looks of my nose, it appears that I like to imbibe while tending to my shermit garden! Who says gardening has to be a chore!!! :) I'll let you know what shermits are as soon as I figure it out. And yes....now that I've had time to absorb it all, I AM definitely very flattered to make the Candyland board!!! (shermits and all!)