Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Duty Before Sleep: or “Hello, Everyone!” said the Panda.

pandaSometimes, Daddys get tired.  And bedtime, and teeth brushing, and reading books just takes it out of you. 

Tonight, I was on the floor, reading to Elaina.  I was in an unusually comfortable position—almost lying down, sharing a book with her and reading.

Before long, I heard a voice reading. “’Hello, everyone’, said the panda.” 

“Who’s that reading?” I wondered. 

It was me. 

I’d fallen asleep, but like a dutiful father, I’d kept reading even after falling asleep.  The book my waking self held wasn’t about pandas, but that’s okay, with my eyes closed, I apparently had access to a different book.  How long I was reading a book that wasn’t there, with my eyes closed and my not knowing about it, I’m not sure. 

I’m going to make a great ghost or crazy person someday.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Going to?

Vicki said...

oh I've done that more than a few times! I usually wake up to Chase saying "no Mommy! That's not what it says!" :)