Monday, November 9, 2009

Still Not the Same

My poor little girl.... Back in February, I mixed up the toothpaste and the Aquaphor. The result was my spreading toothpaste all over her face. Fate has a charming symmetry (less charming if you're on the receiving end, I suspect). The other night, I completed the perhaps inevitable cycle by brushing Elaina's teeth with Aquaphor.


I sort of wondered why she wasn't as cooperative as usual. She's gotten really good at brushing her teeth—she opens up her mouth really wide and lets me brush, and then I let her brush a little...it's a really nice process. That night, she didn't open up as readily. I kind of wondered why.... As I brushed her teeth, I looked at the Aquaphor tube on the vanity and thought, "I should put some of that on her lips. They're pretty dry. Funny that that's sitting out like that.... ... ...Oh.

Fortunately, Aquaphor isn't actually harmful when ingested—and she does tend to get some of it anyway when I put it on her lips. I don't think it was her first choice as a toothpaste, though. Nor did it do a particularly good job as a toothpaste. Her gums are nice and supple now, though, and now that I've resumed brushing her teeth with toothpaste, our nighttime brushing routine has returned to normal.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Hilarious!!!.....I've known people to (purposely) use Comet to brush with (although I don't recommend it at all!), so I guess the Aquaphor won't do any harm. In the dental world, we like to see the gums firm, NOT supple. You may have just started her down the path of gum disease! ha!! :) I think I'd stick to putting toothpaste on her face if you must. :)