Sunday, December 20, 2009

Miss Manners

Elaina and I were hanging out Saturday. It was cold outside, so we were inside, doing puzzles, playing in the tunnel, etc.

And no, Elaina and I don't dress up to hang out on Saturdays. I just didn't have a picture from Saturday, and this one—from a failed attempt to get pictures with Santa (my social butterfly has gotten a little shy)—fits the theme.

But that's not the point of this post. The point is this: I was sitting on the couch and she was in the entryway, just at the edge of my vision. She stepped just beyond where I could see, and I called, "Elaina, come back in here."

Nothing

Again, "Elaina...come here."

There's a short silence, and then Elaina's little-girl voice answers, "Please?"

"Okay. Please come back in here."

Then, and only then, did she return to the living room. I thought maybe it was a coincidence, but I was repeating the story to my sister Linda, and when I said the "Elaina, come here" part, Elaina, who I didn't think was paying attention said quietly, "Please?".

Later that evening, she made me say please again, convincing me that it wasn't a fluke. So, I guess I'm about to become more polite, thanks to a 20-month-old little girl.

No comments: