Thursday, September 10, 2009

Wow! Wow! Everybody!

This is Wubbzy, the main character of Elaina's favorite show, "Wow! Wow! Wubbzy!". Yeah, it's weird that she has a favorite show—it doesn't seem like she's old enough. And no, she doesn't watch a ton of TV, but it's really kind of neat to see her having her own opinions about things. She actually asks for the show by name...sort of. It's more of a "Wuh-wuh-wuh-wuh-wuh" kind of thing, but that's what she's asking for.


Anyway, Wubbzy is this cheery little thing of indeterminate species who loves playing "Kickety-Kick Ball" and greets people with "Wow, wow", as in "Wow wow, Grandma" (which we need to work on). He's very curious and friendly and enthusiastic, which is very like Elaina, so I can see the draw there.

I think this is how I'm going to greet everyone from now on. No more, "hi" or "hey". Instead I think, "Wow! Wow!" is the way to go. It's undeniably cheery, and it's different enough that people actually notice you greeted them. It's also difficult to be grumpy when saying, "Wow! Wow! Everybody!".

So far, I have to admit the reaction has been mixed.... Parents with young kids get it. Other people look at you a little funny. And I'm finding that I'm not entirely comfortable greeting female co-workers with a "Wow! Wow!", so I've not really gotten as far with this new greeting initiative as I might have hoped. I guess when you're a little yellow thing that might or might not be a cat, your "Wow! Wow!" isn't as easily misconstrued.

Goodnight and Wow! Wow!

No comments: