Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Naughty List Sympathizer

We’ve been talking about Santa lately, partly because the Disney World trip has her little consumer’s head spinning.  

(Elaina was very good by the way.  I’m very proud of her.  Disney World is a place filled with wants, and we spent more freely than usual, but as a kid, you still have to hear “no” a lot in a place like Disney World. She did really well. Clearly, she was interested in a bunch of things, but she took “no” very well.  She really never gave me a hard time about anything.)

So, Santa’s facing some Disney-fueled pent up demand, and Elaina was creating her first wish list for Santa.  Heidi and I were stressing the two sides of this Santa deal—that she had to be a good girl.  Little boys and girls on the naughty list don’t get presents. 

I’m not going to be on the naughty list,” she told me resolutely.  “I’m going to be on the nice list.”

“I’m sure you will be, Sweetie.  It’s not that tough.  You’re a pretty good girl already.  You just have to listen to Mommy and Daddy and….”

A little bit later, Elaina turns to me and says, “Santa’s going to be on the naughty list.”

“What do you mean?” I asked, laughing.

“Santa’s going to be on the naughty list, because he doesn’t bring presents to little kids if they’re not good.  That’s not nice.”