Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Pre-Flight Checkup

Today was Elaina Si-Yeon's pre-flight checkup. This is the last hurdle before we pick her up. Other than a little sniffle she's fine, and the doctor cleared her to fly back to the States with us! You may be able to tell from the photo, Elaina wasn't entirely thrilled with the checkup. She was actually a good bit less than entirely thrilled, but we won't include any sad pictures here. One thing that was nice to see, though: while she freely expresses her displeasure with being poked and prodded by doctors and nurses, she recovers very quickly. I take that as a sign that she's got a nice healthy, assertive confidence. Rather than being too passive and not fussing at all (which in adopted kids is sometimes a sign that they've been neglected to the point of learning that crying doesn't help), or being so traumatized that she won't allow herself to be comforted. She wanted to be held by her foster mom for awhile after the appointment, but then she was fine.

The happier part of the appointment was that the foster parents asked if we'd like to stay for awhile (this was at Holt, the adoption agency where the checkup took place) and play with Si-Yeon. They've said, on both occasions, that she has "stranger anxiety", and they wanted to give her and us more time together before the flight home. Actually, she's been great with us both times--she hasn't cried (other than a little, "I'm tired and ready to go home now" fussing) and she hasn't seemed scared of us or reluctant to go to us.
Of course we took them up on their offer, and we ended up spending about an hour with Si-Yeon and her foster parents. Heidi and I both got to hold her and let her play on the couch between us. I got a lot more video footage--including a great shot of her being wrapped up on her foster mom's back when it was time to leave. I also got some accidental footage while the camera was lying on the couch--mostly Heidi's leg, Si-Yeon's feet, and my hands, with the occassional yellow duck.

I continue to be really impressed with the foster parents--both of which came to the appointment today. It's really apparent that they love her and that she has a great relationship with them. Her foster parents gave us a couple of the toys she likes and a hanbok (traditional Korean clothing) for her first birthday. The first birthday celebration in Korea is called the "Tol". It's a big event--in part because the infant mortality rate used to be so high. So, we were prepared to get her a hanbok for it, but it's nicer to have it come from the foster parents.

The videos from today show the Elaina Si-Yeon and the foster parents and Heidi. In the first, the foster parents are playing with her and she's looking at Heidi and eventually goes to her. In the second, Elaina's tired and is going home. She was fussy moments before, but as she's hoisted up onto her foster mom's back and wrapped up to go, she gets happy again.




5 comments:

caren said...

what a gorgeous family!!! you all look terrific, I love the video of Heid and Elaina on the couch
( you've got yourselves a biter ;) and the picture of John with his new daughther "checking him out" is priceless!!
I cannot say congratulations enough on this beautiful baby, what a gift!!
Miss you , thinking of you and sending lost of love!

Vicki said...

I'm so glad you got to be part of the medical visit, and to have those videos of Elaina and her foster parents! That is so special - she'll love watching those (over & over & over) someday :) I love following along with you guys out there!

Jean said...

Great job with the new videos! How amazing to be able to spend time with the foster parents ~ something we were not able to do. How old is Elaina, by the way?

I can't imagine how hard it must be to see your daughter leave each day with the foster parents. I'm sure you are counting the minutes until she is in your arms and you are flying home.

Safe travels,
Jean

John said...

Thanks, all.
Jean, to answer your question, Elaina just turned 9 months old Tuesday.

It would be hard watching her leave with them, if it weren't so obvious that they love her and that she's very attached to them. I don't begrudge them the time they have left. It has to be very difficult for them to think of her being taken away--even though this is their 25th time through this.
It's actually going to be really hard taking her tomorrow--especially if she's tired and just wants the only mom she's ever known. She'll adjust, but she's going to be sad, and we're going to be sad because she's sad.... Fortunately, she does seem to like us, and we've had a chance to let her get to know us a little. But I think when push comes to shove, she's going to be looking for the foster mom, and that's going to be a little devastating for all of us.

Gene Lammers said...

To Si-Yeon's foster parents:

Thank You for giving our new granddaughter such tender loving care.

Grandpa & Grandma Lammers