Elaina's had her first bottle with us. She was hungry, but seemed to fight taking the bottle at first. The hardest part was her crying and calling for "Umma", the Korean version of "Mommy". It's the only word she knows, but it's a big one...turns out, there's a huge difference between the knowing that she'll grieve for the loss of her foster parents and hearing her call for her Umma. Ultimately, she accepted the bottle, and later, played with Heidi on the floor and let Heidi comfort her. (She seems to like me well enough, but she's not quite ready to have both of us there at once without the foster parents there to back her up.)
Later still, I had her when Heidi had to step away, and while she wasn't afraid of me, she was nervously looking around for Heidi and starting to cry. I take that as a good sign--that she's already starting to look to Heidi for comfort. I can wait for her. All-in-all a pretty successful second round.
1 comment:
Glad to see her looking to Heidi for comfort. Your patience ("I can wait") is admirable! :) Wishing all of you a good trip home!!! :)
Post a Comment