Thursday, December 18, 2008

Wow! She's Busy

Si-Yeon's foster mom warned us that she was busy and a climber. Now that she's a little used to the idea of Heidi and I being here, she's been playing on the floor--which isn't so much sitting like a nice lady and playing as it is crawling and pulling herself up on everything and grabbing everything in sight. :)

I'm allowed to play now too--it's okay with her if both Heidi and I are with her at once. We even got a few smiles.

After a couple hours of playing, she had her nighttime bottle. Mixing her formula was made more interesting due to the facts that:


  • I've never mixed formula.
  • The instructions are in Korean.
She seemed to like it though, and right now, Heidi's soothing her to sleep. Nothing but normal fussing this time, and fairly little at that. No heartwrenching cries for "Umma".

I don't imagine it's all smooth sailing from here, but I'm glad we had this afternoon and evening with her before the flight tomorrow. It would have been so much worse if she woke up to us for the first time in-flight. She was not a happy little girl. Imagine how frightening it must be to wake up in an unfamiliar place with barely familiar people, who are definitely not the parents you know, and who look and smell and sound different. It felt like there was so little we could do to make it better. I'm just glad we weathered that first storm in a quiet hotel room, rather than a crowded, noisy airplane--how much more frightening that would have been!

It's the end of Day 1, and Elaina Si-Yeon Lammers is asleep. Tomorrow, we fly.

No comments: