Eye-Fi is maybe the coolest thing I've ever seen. I haven't researched it thoroughly yet, but the basic claim is that it's an SD card for your camera that automatically uploads your pictures to a website.
You can apparently choose from a number of sites that you probably already use, and presumably (though I've not checked this out) you can pick where they land on that site--in other words, I expect that you can choose how public or private your automatically uploaded photos are, just like you would if you'd uploaded manually.
Even if you don't want to share photos, this strikes me as a great backup mechanism. I'd consider getting one of these for that alone--especially if it works with video. (Video tends to languish on my recorder for a bit, mostly because I don't like any of my video management software from a quick-import perspective).
And maybe I'd find myself sharing more photos than I would otherwise. I can imagine grandparents might like the fact that they'd have a stream of near real-time photos, rather than waiting for me to collect them, crop them, and post them on the blog. I can also picture Heidi seeing a stream of pictures from my business trip to London or my EpicTable forum members having access to a stream of pictures from Gen Con.
Of course, I shoot about 10 photos for every good one, especially when trying to capture Elaina in action, so I guess I'd need to manage the images. And I guess I just talked myself into needing different image streams for different audiences. Still, this seems like a really nifty little device.
No comments:
Post a Comment