Saturday, October 9, 2010

Saturday Shopping

Last Saturday, Elaina and I went shopping.  If you ever have the opportunity to go shopping with a two-year-old girl, do it.

Our first stop was the bakery, and Elaina had sort of been gearing up for this all morning. 

As soon as we walked in the door, she says, “Hi!  I’ll have a donut, please!”

Being a polite little lady, Elaina introduced herself and me.  “This is Daddy.  Mommy’s at home.  I’m ‘Laina.”

The lady behind the counter smiled and said, “Sorry, we don’t have any donuts left.”

Undaunted, Elaina responded with “I’ll have a muffin, please!” 

I took her over to a case full of muffins, and Elaina pointed to the blueberry ones and asked for them by name.  The bakery lady was very impressed that Elaina knew the blueberry muffins by sight and liked how she said, “Booberry muffin, please”.

We then moved on to the deli counter, where Elaina scored a slice of cheese from each of the two people behind the counter.

As we left the deli, we passed through the seafood section and had to stop to say “hi” to the lobsters.  (This is actually my favorite part of grocery shopping with her.)

As we checked out, Elaina struck up a conversation with the checkout guy and the bagger, one of whom seemed happy to talk to her, the other seeming to not know what to make of her.

On the way home, “Daddy, I saw a deer.”

“Really?” I responded, a little skeptical.

“Want to give him treats.”

“Hmm…. What do deer eat?”

“…Deer food.”

“I don’t think we bought any deer food, Sweetie….”

That’s Saturday shopping with Elaina.  It’s much more fun than running errands by myself.

No comments: