I think Elaina’s still deciding what she thinks about creepy crawly things. Sometimes, she’s curious. Sometimes, she acts scared. Sometimes, she says “worms are too yucky!”
These “sometimes” often occur within minutes of each other, so you can see, this is a deeply conflicted young lady.
In the picture at the left, Elaina’s inspecting a spider she found on her sandbox cover. I take great pains to make sure her inspections are gentle, and while I don’t imagine any of the spiders she’s encountered have dubbed her a great friend of their kind, they’ve all lived to return to their spider families and tell stories of their encounter with her. I’m sure she’s the topic of spider legends, and I wouldn’t be completely shocked to find her image woven into a web, though whether this would be a tribute or a warning to other spiders, I’m not sure.
Earthworms are trickier--well, that’s not to say that earthworms are tricky. By and large, they are not. What to do with earthworms is tricky. They are, as Elaina would say, “too yucky!”. But they’re also pretty interesting.
The first order of business is to point them out, because if Daddy doesn’t know there’s an earthworm, how can he possibly come help decide what to do about it?
Second, you often need a closer look.
In the end, it’s probably best just to watch and see what they do.
No comments:
Post a Comment