Horsey rides are relatively new at our house. First off, let me just go all proud father for a moment and say that Elaina’s a natural rider. She normally holds on only with her legs. I’ve given up trying to get her to hold on with hands and legs. I content myself with preventing her from trick riding. Why she thinks I’m a circus pony and she should stand on me, I don’t know.
But that’s not what this post is about.
This post isn’t about the rider. It’s about the horse, or rather, about becoming a horsey. You see, for some people, I suppose being a horsey seems very natural, but what you see here is something of a watershed moment for me.
For me, for a long time, horsey rides were emblematic of everything I feared about becoming a father. That sounds a little over-dramatic doesn’t it? I suppose it merits a little explanation. You see, as a college student visiting my sister MJ and my brother-in-law, Jim, I got to observe one of the more accomplished horseys in action on a number of occasions.
Jim was starting a business and working long hours, and at that time, there were three or four kids of riding age, all clamoring for—and receiving—his attention. Fond as I may be of my niece and nephews, I have to say that this sight was daunting to me. It was clear that to be an effective horsey, one really needed to genuinely like being a horsey. Somehow, you had to want kids jumping on your back at the end of a long day. I imagine that to some people that might be second nature. But I know it’s not true of everyone, and I knew it wasn’t true of me. I was pretty sure this was something you couldn’t fake. It wasn’t something you could learn. To be good at being a horsey, you had to want to be a horsey.
Over the years, I generalized that little insight and amplified it until everything about being a horsey was unfathomable and terrifying.
But I’ve learned something new. It’s not really about the horse. It’s about the rider. I still believe that that you have to want to be a horsey to be good at it, but what I discovered is that the right rider makes you want to be a horsey. And then it’s effortless.
Just watch out for the trick riders.
2 comments:
As soon as I saw the first picture, my mind immediately went to one of our old home videos of a holiday when all of us kids were riding around on Uncle Jim-Horsey. Something tells me Elaina might be a little tamer than the Beth-->Louber crew haha
Very well written!...you've said it all! :)
Post a Comment